Twitter Blue has launched in a selection of markets. But what is it, how much does it cost, and is it worth your money?
In a bid to find new ways to improve users’ experiences online, Twitter launched a paid subscription service called Twitter Blue. It has rolled out in a limited number of countries, but expects to expand in the future.
The subscription allows users to access exclusive features and more. But what exactly is Twitter Blue, and how much does it cost? Is it even worth the money? Keep reading to find out.
What Is Twitter Blue?
Twitter Blue is a monthly subscription service that offers exclusive access to premium features and customizations. Twitter Blue first launched in Australia and Canada in June 2021. It later expanded availability to include the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Twitter Blue does not replace the free version of the app, which remains available for users in supported countries. It is only available on iOS.
Twitter Blue includes various exclusive features, including:
- Undo Tweets: With a Twitter Blue membership, you’ll have the opportunity to undo a post that you didn’t want to send. You can also preview content to ensure that your post is free of errors.
- Reader Mode: Twitter Blue has a “Reader Mode” feature, which makes threads read more like an article. It has a more seamless look as profile photos, usernames, timestamps, and so on are removed from view.
- Bookmarking Folders: With the free version of Twitter, you can bookmark individual pieces of content. Twitter Blue, however, allows you to organize things into folders.
- Edit Tweets: You may edit your tweets for a limited time after posting them.
- Custom Navigation: You can choose what icons are in your bottom navigation bar.
- Custom App Icons and Themes: You can choose what the Twitter app icon and app theme looks like on your device from a range of colors and options.
- Top Articles: You will gain access to a shortcut to news articles that are most shared in your Twitter network, so you can find what you’re interested in faster.
Available features may change depending on your location and device.
How Much Does Twitter Blue Cost?
Twitter Blue costs between $4.99 and $7.99 USD, depending on whether you have the old or the new plan. This is a jump from the standard $4.99 USD price before November 2022. Elon Musk increased the price after buying Twitter.
The price increase came with the blue verified check mark for those who paid in. The rollout of this feature, which only appeared on iOS, came with huge controversy, according to the Washington Post.
However, the higher-priced plan was paused on 9 November 2022 following issues with verification. Existing subscribers can stay on the $4.99 plan until their subscription is canceled. You can upgrade to the $7.99 plan if your account existed before 9 November 2022.
Is Twitter Blue Worth It?
For some people, the idea of paying to use social media might not sit well. Twitter Blue has some useful new features that users will no doubt enjoy, such as the ability to undo tweets. Everyday users who haven’t yet bought in may be convinced to get Blue by the perk of being verified.
Shortly after its launch, we talked about why we’re not big fans of Twitter Blue at the moment. But, Twitter has since added the ability to edit tweets for US subscribers, which makes it a bit more valuable.
It might be worth giving it a try and forming your own opinion. There looks to be a lot of change coming to Twitter, and you might want to be part of it. It all depends on how often you use Twitter and if the features are useful to how you use the platform. If you don’t like it, you can always cancel your subscription.
Twitter Blue: A Subscription Worth Considering
Twitter Blue is the platform’s biggest step yet into the world of paid subscriptions. Despite having limited success so far, there are big plans for it.
While the future is uncertain for Twitter as a whole, using Twitter Blue will give you a new layer of customization for your online experience.