If something isn’t quite right with Windows Security on Windows 11, here’s how to give it a fresh reset.
Windows Security is your one-stop security center to protect your Windows 11 device and personal data. However, there are times when you have to reset the Windows security app. It may be because the app is not working properly or, in some cases, not starting at all.
As such, here are some easy ways to reset the Windows Security app on Windows 11.
What Happens When You Reset the Windows Security App?
When you reset the Windows Security app, all its settings get restored to their default values. After resetting, the app will look and work exactly like when you first accessed it on your computer.
The reset process is very much similar to reinstalling an app, but it is faster, and you don’t have to download the app to install it again.
The easiest and most popular way to reset the Windows Security app is through the settings menu. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the Settings menu and click the Apps option in the left panel of the screen.
- Choose Installed apps.
- In the “Installed apps” window, locate and click on the three dots next to Windows Security.
- Choose Advanced options from the context menu.
- Click the Reset option, and then click Reset again in the prompt that crops up.
2. How to Reset the Windows Security App Using Windows PowerShell
If you’re an experienced Windows user familiar with the command-line tools, then you can use PowerShell to reset the Windows Security app. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Start Menu by pressing the Win key.
- In the search bar, type PowerShell and click Run as administrator from the right pane. You can use any other method as well to open Windows PowerShell.
- Type or copy-paste the following command in the PowerShell window and press Enter.
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage
Wait until the command is executed successfully. After that, close the PowerShell window.
3. How to Reset the Windows Security App Using Command Prompt
You can quickly reset the Windows Security app with the help of Command Prompt. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Start menu and type Command Prompt in the search bar.
- Choose the Run as administrator option on the right side. This will open Command Prompt with admin rights.
- Type or copy-paste the following command in the elevated Command Prompt window and press Enter.
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest"
That’s it. The command will reinstall and then re-register the Windows Security app on your computer.
Reset the Windows 11 Security App With Ease
It’s very important to have the Windows Security app enabled on your computer. It not only protects your local files but also keeps you safe online. But if the Windows Security app is not working correctly, you can reset it using the above methods.
There’re many other things you can try when the Windows Security app stops working on your Windows 11.