The Android 13 and One UI 5 update has begun rolling out for users of the Galaxy S22 series of phones, starting in Europe.
The Android 13 and One UI 5 update for Samsung Galaxy phones has begun rolling out for the Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22+, and Galaxy S22 Ultra.
It is reported to be available first in parts of Europe, including Italy, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK. Several other phones, including the S21 and A53, are also set to receive the update this year, with more Samsung models getting it next year.
What’s in One UI 5?
The start of the launch of One UI 5 was reported by SamMobile, which saw that the update was being released initially in regions where the S22 is powered by Samsung’s own Exynos chip. The update has the firmware version S90xBXXU2BVJA. Devices with the Snapdragon processor, and other regions, look set to follow shortly.
A two-month beta test has already revealed much about One UI 5 and Samsung’s take on Android 13. Here are some of the highlights you can expect to see:
- Routines and Modes: the newly-enhanced Routines trigger certain actions based on what you’re doing while Modes let you create customized settings, such as for when you’re sleeping or driving.
- Lock screen customization: you can now easily add videos to your lock screen, and access more personalization tools more quickly.
- Stacked widgets: you can make more efficient use of your home screen space by stacking widgets on top of each other.
- Smart suggestions: this widget tool will learn your actions and suggest certain settings or apps based on what it thinks you want to do.
- A new Security and Privacy Dashboard: you can check all your settings in a single report from the same screen.
- Bixby Text Call: when you can’t speak on the phone, Bixby will transcribe what your caller says, and let you reply by typing in a response. This will support the English language from early 2023.
There’s more: refined notifications and user interface, the ability to extract text from images, easier controls for your connected devices, a security-aware share panel, and so on.
You’ll get a notification when the update becomes available on your phone. If you can’t wait, go to Settings > System updates > Check for system updates to see if it’s there.
Samsung OS Updates
While the first phase of the launch is for the Galaxy S22 phones, other models will follow before the end of the year. The Galaxy S21 series, the Galaxy Z Fold 4 and Z Fold 3, the Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Z Flip 3, and the mid-range Galaxy A53 are in line to be among the first to get the update.
Thanks to Samsung’s generous update policy, lots of older phones like the S20 series and A52 will also get a taste of One UI 5 in 2023.